The application deadline for summer term 2024 has ended.
Applications for winter term 2024/2025 will be possible from 15.02.2024.
The application deadline for winter term 2024/25 is 31.05.2024 (Non-EU citizens) and 15.07.2024 (EU-citizens).
For winter semester 2024/25, applicants from India will require an APS certificate to start a degree program (Bachelor’s degree, State Examination and Master’s degree) in Germany, if the applicant has obtained a secondary education certificate or course achievements from India.
If you are granted admission for winter semester 2024/25, you must present the APS certificate on enrollment at the latest.
Please see the detailed information provided here.
Join the Meet Up for Interested Students
Next dates: 11.01.24 and 21.03.24
Content: Information about the program and the application process.
Study Plan M.Sc. CEP
The research oriented Master’s degree program CEP is designed to prepare the graduates for working as an engineer on the highest scientific level. The Master’s degree program offers two branches of study: energy technologies and energy systems.
The study plan includes:
- laboratory courses
- specialisation modules for the two branches energy technologies and energy systems
- compulsory and elective modules (you can choose from module catalogues)
- an internship
- Master’s thesis
For a presentation of the Master’s degree please see the program’s introductory video:
Master Clean Energy Processes
Modules and specialisations of M.Sc. CEP
The Master modules are listed in our module catalogues (see below).
There are two specialisations:
In the specialisation energy technologies fundamental methods for the development and implementation of new technologies for the generation and conversion of renewable energies are studied in-depth. In the field of study „energy systems“, competencies are acquired in particular in the application areas of the further development of energy systems. Methods are deepened which facilitate the design of process chains for the generation, utilization and integration of renewable energies in the energy system and integration of renewable energies in chemical processes.
Students choose modules from both specialisations and can thus create their individual profile related to their previous field of study, interests and professional background.
Topics covered in M.Sc. CEP
We teach our students the tools to understand the existing problems related to the storage of renewable energies and set them up to be able to improve or create new ways to convert and store renewable energy. We look both at state of the art and new technologies, and the energy systems as a whole. For instance photovoltaic cells, windturbines or batteries and their underlying mechanisms are studied. Questions we ask ourselves are for instance: how can the process be improved? Can we use a catalyst to improve the reaction? What happens at the interfaces?
What makes the program special is taking into account not only the technical but also the socio-economic factors like ethics, sustainability and the energy markets. We pave ways for a circular economy to be implemented and processes in each type of industry to be optimized and made sustainable.
Come and be part of the solution!
Structure of M.Sc. CEPStructure M.Sc. CEP
Apply for Master CEP
- Application for the CEP M.Sc. program is possible for the winter term and summer term
- The application is possible through the online portal campo.
- Deadline for applications is 31st of May (Non-EU citizens) and 15th of July (EU citizens) for the winter term.
And 30th November (Non-EU citizens) and 15th of January (EU-citizens) for the summer term.
- International students are advised to apply well before the respective application deadline.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted!
- Submitted applications cannot be changed and submission in the Campo portal is final.
Therefore applicants need to make sure to check their application data carefully before submitting their application for CEP.
- Plagiarised application letters will automatically lead to rejection. Giving out one’s own letter will be counted as plagiarism.
Transcripts of Records: Please make sure to submit all pages of the transcript including the grading scheme.
The academic prerequisite for admission to the program is an above average undergraduate degree: B.Sc. in a similar study program (Chemical/or Chemical and Biological Engineering, Energy Technology etc.) and above average grades in both final degree and relevant fundamental subjects.
Please note that the study programs electrical/electronic engineering and civil engineering are not subject-related degrees or an equivalent degrees and graduates of these degrees cannot be admitted.
Additionally you need to prove your proficiency of the English language on the level B2 in order to enrol via one of the following:
- your school leaving certificate (only applicants with a German university entrance qualification “HZB”)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with at least 85 points in iBT
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 5.5 or higher
- for alternative certificates please see: https://sz.fau.eu/examinations/accreditation/
- certificate from your university that your Bachelor degree was taught in English.
For the summer semester 2023 intake ca. 10% of applications were selected for the program.
Necessary documents for application
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Application letter in English. Please set out your motivation and qualification for the degree program (1 or max. 2 pages, see also our FAQ Application letter).
- Proof of language proficiency in English (please see section “academic prerequisites”)
- School leaving certificate (complete certificate)
- First degree certificate (Bachelor’s degree)
- Full overview of subjects and grades (Transcript of Records) including grading scheme.
Applications without grading scheme cannot be reviewed and will therefore be rejected.
- Applicants from China, Vietnam and India: APS certificate
- Optional documents:
- Proof of internships, vocational training, work experience
- Other forms of proof (e.g. proof of voluntary work)
Please see the checklist for international applicants on which documents need to be handed in as certified copies.
Hints for application:
- Application documents should not include more than a few pages. Especially the application letter and CV should be 1 page maximum.
- Module handbooks must not be uploaded into Campo. Please make sure to upload only the relevant and requested document in the respective upload field in Campo.
The application for the CEP program must be submitted online, via the campo portal using the following steps:
- Register an account in the FAU-IdM System.
- Sign in at the campo portal.
- Submit your online application for CEP.
- Wait for notification from FAU.
Please see the video below for instructions on how to apply online in campo.
- The full application documents will be evaluated by members of the CEP admissions committee. The results of the evaluation will be submitted to the CEP admissions committee.
- The admissions committee decides on your admission to the Master’s program.
- The second step of the selection process is an interview in which subject-specific knowlege and fundamentals for the CEP program are checked.
- Cheating or any attempt at cheating during the selection interview leads to disqualification
- The Master‘s Office will check your documents after positive selection by the admissions commission with regard to the formal requirements.
- Only if your application meets the formal requirements you will officially be admitted into the program.
Our students stem from over 35 different nations.
The acceptance rate over the past semesters can be seen below:
|Winter term 2021/2022:
|ca. 11% (out of ca. 750 applicants)
|Summer term 2022:
|ca. 9.5% (out of ca. 800 applicants)
|Winter term 2022/23:
|ca. 8% (out of ca. 1.300 applicants)
|Summer term 2023:
|ca. 9% (out of ca. 950 applicants)
There is a rising demand for engineers that have an extensive knowledge of innovative technologies for renewable new energy systems and energy production. Graduates can significantly participate in the successful introduction of new sustainable energy systems and energy processes and adequately evaluate sustainability on a global scale. As they have more experience with international and research-related topics than other graduates, they are especially suited for tasks on the highest level of engineering or to pursue a career in academia.
- Energy production and logistics
- Process optimization and intensification
- Consulting and auditing
- Energy companies/providers
- Sustainable chemical industry
- Policy and decision making
- Ph.D. in (sustainable) chemical and process engineering
What is a program with preselection?
- A program with preselection means that the process of sifting the applications is done by the admission committee of the respective degree prior to admission.
The selection process is based on among others academic prerequisites, professional and extricuricular experience as well as a selection interview.
- Your application will be evaluated by the admission committee. Only after successful preselection your documents will be checked by the Master’s admission office with regard to the formal requirements. If your application meets the formal requirements you will officially be admitted into the program.
Should the application be in English or German?
Your application documents can be in either German or in English. The curriculum vitae and the motivation letter must be in English.
Do I receive a confirmation upon the receipt of my documents?
Upon the arrival of your documents for admission or enrollment via post FAU does not send out standardized confirmations of receipt of the documents.
It can usually take 2-3 weeks after arrival of the documents until they are processed since several thousand applications are received by the relevant FAU offices each semester. You will be informed by FAU as soon as your documents have been processed. Please kindly wait until you are notified.
You have further questions? You can contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individual appointments on site at the SSC can be booked via our booking system:
Individual appointments can be made via email.
For applicants: Please attend the monthly information meeting for interested students on Zoom.